One of the greatest claims we can make in Central Florida is that both the tourism industry led by Visit Orlando and the creative industry led by United Arts of Central Florida share the same desire — to leverage our fantastic cultural ecosystem to create authentic and unique experiences to increase tourism. Which in turn will drive engagement and attendance for all of us.
To that end, we are very pleased to announce that United Arts of Central Florida and Visit Orlando are partnering to support the development and implementation of a formal cultural tourism program. This exciting partnership will identify and package current products and experiences and help to develop new, unique ideas that can be used to increase the value of our tourism experience and attract new tourists to our region.
United Arts of Central Florida, a 501©(3) nonprofit organization and the one-stop-shop to support the arts, sciences and history in Lake, Orange, Osceola, and Seminole counties, is seeking a highly knowledgeable and passionate Cultural Tourism Specialist to join the United Arts team.
As Cultural Tourism Specialist, you will be responsible for creating and implementing strategies to promote and enhance cultural experiences throughout Orlando, Orange County, and the greater Central Florida area. You will collaborate with various stakeholders, including local communities, cultural organizations, tourism and hospitality organizations, and government agencies, to develop sustainable and authentic cultural tourism initiatives. Your expertise will bridge the creative and tourism industries to develop innovative place-based efforts showcasing the fantastic arts offerings Central Florida has to offer and enriching an already vibrant experience for tourists.
The successful candidate for this position will have the opportunity to shape and promote cultural tourism experiences that celebrate diversity, foster cultural understanding, and contribute to local economic development. Join our team and make a lasting impact on the way tourists engage with Central Florida’s cultural heritage.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Convene tourism and cultural leaders to establish shared goals and expectations with ongoing quarterly meetings.
- Develop and implement cultural tourism strategies: Create comprehensive plans and initiatives to promote cultural tourism in the Orlando, Orange County, and the greater Central Florida area.
- Identify target markets, analyze trends, and devise strategies to attract visitors interested in our various arts, cultural, history, and science experiences. Ensure a minimum of 50% of all United Arts cultural tourism products reflect diverse cultures from around the world that are representative of Orange County.
- Convene and collaborate with stakeholders: Engage with local communities, cultural organizations, tourism and hospitality organizations, and government agencies to foster collaboration and build partnerships. Work together to develop culturally sensitive tourism programs that benefit both tourists and local communities.
- Enhance visitor experiences: Design and curate cultural tourism experiences that are authentic, immersive, and meaningful. Develop itineraries, guidebooks, audiovisual materials, and other resources to enhance visitor engagement and understanding of the local culture.
- Conduct research and market analysis: Stay abreast of the latest trends, market demands, and emerging technologies in cultural tourism. Conduct research to identify potential new attractions, activities, or experiences that align with target audience interests.
- Develop marketing and promotional materials: Collaborate with internal and external marketing teams to create compelling content to highlight cultural tourism offerings. Ensure consistent messaging and branding across various platforms. Post and share weekly cultural tourism messaging on social media outlets
- Craft monthly blogs communicating the unique and authentic cultural tourism experiences of Orange County. Ensure that United Arts cultural calendar supports the visitor experience and is a useful hospitality industry tool.
- Provide training and education for the nonprofit cultural sector: In partnership with Visit Orlando, conduct training programs tailored to the creative sector that enable them to better market their products to the tourism industry, meeting a standard of excellence for visitor experiences, and ensuring organizations are “tourism ready”.
- Provide training and education for the tourism and hospitality industries: Organize workshops, seminars, and training programs for tourism professionals, local communities, and guides. Foster cultural sensitivity and awareness among stakeholders to deliver authentic and respectful cultural tourism experiences.
- Monitor and evaluate initiatives: Track the performance of cultural tourism initiatives, collect feedback from tourists and local communities, and measure the economic and social impacts. Use data and insights to refine strategies and improve future programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Tourism Management, Cultural Studies, Anthropology, Marketing, or a related field. A combination of relevant education and experience will also be considered.
- Proven experience in cultural or heritage tourism development, destination management, or related roles.
- Deep understanding of what makes the Central Florida arts and culture scene special and unique.
- The ability to engage with and work across multiple sectors in the creation and implementation of tourism programs and initiatives.
- Strong project management skills and ability to coordinate multiple stakeholders and initiatives.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to build relationships and collaborate effectively.
- Knowledge of marketing and promotional techniques, preferably in the tourism industry.
- Proficiency in data analysis, research methodologies, and report writing.
- Familiarity with sustainable tourism practices and responsible travel principles.
- Flexibility to travel and work in different cultural contexts.
- Multilingual skills are advantageous.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Research shows that men apply for jobs when they fulfill an average of 60% of the criteria. Yet, women and other people who are systematically marginalized tend only to apply if they meet every requirement. If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply.
United Arts’ is an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a drug-free, smoke-free working environment.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION AND ACCESSIBILITY
United Arts’ vision is to increase access to the arts for all people of Central Florida by 2025. To achieve this vision, they have established a set of strategic goals that include a commitment to be more intentional about diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in everything they do, as well as support the same in the arts and culture community at-large.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, United Arts will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
ABOUT UNITED ARTS OF CENTRAL FLORIDA
The mission of United Arts of Central Florida is to enrich communities by investing in art, science, and history.
Through a dynamic collaboration of individuals, businesses, local governments, foundations and more than 125 arts and cultural organizations, United Arts works to enhance the quality and the variety of cultural experiences available to residents and visitors throughout Central Florida. This is achieved through service to arts, sciences, history, and other cultural providers, raising and distributing funds and providing management, administrative and advisory services to the field. United Arts is the designated local arts agency for the four-county region and the largest arts funder in Central Florida.
As one of the most successful United Arts Funds in the nation, raising more than $12 million annually to support programs and operating budgets in arts, science, history and cultural organizations, United Arts’ is a major contributor to Central Florida’s sound, resilient, and thriving cultural sector.